Since this diet appeared on the market world of health and fitness industry experienced words of praise but attacks too. Since those times we have two types of trainers: the ones who say Keto is the absolute winner in weight-loss diets, and the ones who say it’s one of the most stupid diets out there. And there’s no gray area. Black or white. No middle.
Well, we kinda understand both of those sides. Keto diet is very controversial but there’s a fact no one can say it’s not true and that is: it’s absolutely efficient. Here at Extreme Loser, we do recommend starting with the Keto diet.
I personally experienced all the benefits AND side-effects from Keto, and as someone who spent 6 months on it, I can say it’s absolutely fantastic and you should go with it, with no further thinking.
What is the Keto diet?
The Ketogenic diet (also known as Keto diet) is a low-carb and high-fat diet where the body is using stored fats as fuel because of the limited carb intake. The ideal intake balance is 5% carbs, 20% protein, and 75% fat.
Keto diet got its name from the state of ketosis, which takes its place approximately 48h after avoiding glucose and sugars. At that time, the body starts producing ketones, a side product of the fat-burning process.
People have described this diet in many ways, but as much there is true about it, there’s also a lot of false information. From my experience I can say many things about it, but here are some facts:
- It’s extremely hard. If you are messing around, if you are not serious about it, just stop. Unlike other diets, the Keto diet has very strict rules, does not allow mistakes, and will punish you if you betray it. However, if you play the game by the rules, you will drop the weight insanely fast and stable.
- Keto breath is a thing. Yes, the breath is true. But worry not, I got you! I’ll give you an awesome tip on how to get rid of it!
- You can experience a slight memory loss. Nothing big, but things like “where I left my keys?” become more present. Good thing, it doesn’t last long.
- It’s a game-changer for everyone. No matter which diet got you in the plateau, no matter if you know how to get out of it, just start with keto and let the magic happen.
- You will need some supplements. Nothing big, just minerals and vitamins for the beginning.
So now when you know the ugly side, here’s why you should still start the Keto diet.
1. Keto Diet is super efficient
The Keto diet is one of the most effective diets out there. If you are overweight it’s almost impossible this diet won’t work for you.
In order to drop a few pounds down or to make a major weight loss people start usually the same way. They either drop the dinner, stop eating pastry, quit sweets and alcohol, and they make the first progress. There are few alcoholic beverages you can drink while on the Ketogenic diet, but in the beginning, I suggest to avoid it. After that, when the body hits the first STOP sign, they don’t know how to quit plateau.
If they decide to move forward they learn how to count calories and make second progress. Eventually, their diet stops working because it’s based pretty much on the same thing: the caloric deficit.
With the Keto diet, you don’t have to worry about any of those things. You just have to make sure you stay in ketosis.
2. Original fuel
A long time ago, our bodies actually used ketones as a primary fuel. Our bodies ran on ketones as the best fuel humans can go on. As time passed by and the nutrition industry developed cheap but sweet carbs, we forgot how it’s to be in ketosis.
Our bodies use carbs, fat, and ketones as fuel.
Carbs are good fuel for power, and they fuel the brain and body. Bad thing is that they are fast-burning fuel. Just remember yourself, you eat a piece of chocolate, it lifts you up, and after an hour your body craves chocolate again.
Fat is also good fuel, and the benefit is that its slow-burning fuel. However, it feels only the body, it’ can’t reach the brain.
And we have ketones. Ketones are created from fat when we are in the state of ketosis, or when we are fasting. It’s a fast-burning fuel, and in this case that is not bad, because burning the ketones, means burning the fat, which results in losing weight. Ketones fuel the body and brain and are +28% more efficient per oxygen unit than carbs.
Getting back to ketones fuel is a big benefit for long-term health.
3. Ket diet improves mood and cognitive functions
Well, you have to spend some time on Keto to feel this. In the beginning, you will feel anxiety but that’s because of low carb intake.
Let’s be real for a minute. Sugar is like drugs. And many people are simply sugar addicts. Quitting sugar will develop huge stress and sorry for saying this, but no pain – no gain. Over time, I got so tired of “working” diets, that require you to do nothing. Here’s an effective diet, it will give you some hard time, but if you get over it, you will have huge benefits. Period.
After a few months when your body adapts, your mood, memory, and cognitive functions will be stronger than ever. For real, I was so happy because I felt clean and light 24-7, and my memory was incredibly better.
4. No Cravings
Yep, you heard that right.
When you eat carbs, your insulin spikes up and down, all the time, causing you to crave foods. But when you are on the Keto diet and your body runs on ketones you don’t have those oscillations. Your insulin makes small spikes because the food you are eating mainly has a low glycemic index, and your hunger and cravings are gone.
Again, you may experience lots of cravings and hunger in the first few days but understand the process. You are changing the whole machine inside, let the body adapt. Keep on track!
5. Rare or no plateaus
I experienced the first plateau after 5 months on keto. Until that my weight was dropping daily. So I did my research and figured I have two options:
- The first option was to stick with the keto, and the plateau will break in a couple of days. This is also known to be the “slow” method. So basically, just keep doing what you are doing, and you’ll break it.
- The second option is the one I liked more. It’s intermittent fasting. If you are like me, and will always choose the quicker way than just start practicing intermittent fasting and you should break the plateau within 24h.
6. Keto diet destroys the fatty liver, bad cholesterol, and triglycerides
Because of the stable insulin, the Keto diet will clean your liver, and get rid of the bad cholesterol and triglycerides.
Having stable insulin also benefits of lowering the risk of getting diabetes, strokes, heart attacks, etc.
7. Keto diet is awesome for endurance type training
If you are trying to build your stamina up, then the Keto diet is the one for you. However, if you are doing strength and explosive training, then Keto isn’t the one. You will probably have better results with some diet that has carbs.
However, you should always target your stamina first, and strength second. Having good stamina and endurance in any sport means you will burn fat longer and keep the body temperature up.
8. No counting calories
Forget about counting calories. Just focus on staying in ketosis, and you will have amazing progress.
A quick thing to pay attention to
While on Ketosis you will need a multivitamin complex to boost your progress and to stay healthy. A ketogenic diet is extremely hard and restrictive, and you may find yourself in vitamin deficiency.
I suggest using this high quality multivitamin if you are a women. It’s personalized for your body and it will save you from boring plateaus and catching colds.
On the other hand, if you are a guy like me, then there’s a men version for you, also balanced for our bodies. Definitely check these ones out!
- 5 Best Supplements For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain
- 9 Amazing High Protein Snacks for Weight Loss: Low Carbs and Calories
- How To Do Intermittent Fasting: Step-By-Step Beginners Guide
That’s it, folks!
Founder at Extreme Loser
- What Is Ultrasonic Cavitation Treatment For Weight Loss? - April 21, 2019
- How To Get Summer Body Ready In a Month - April 7, 2019
- 32 Secrets Weight Loss Experts Are Not Telling You - April 3, 2019