Throughout the years I tried over 40 different protein powders, and I don’t mean 40 different tastes. I mean 40 different brands. Plus, all variations. From first-hand experience, I can say that the market is freaking hell! There’s a ton of shitty products, unhealthy junk, and nothing but pure marketing. Unfortunately, quality often comes last.
That’s exactly what happened to me.
When I started losing weight I was tracking all my calories and macros, and it was very frustrating. I didn’t know how to ease myself through that horrific process of scanning every single thing in the fridge and calculating how much proteins or carbs will I eat if I eat half of the fish.
It didn’t take long for me to figure out that I will need supplementation.
I always said that it’s easy to lose 10 or 20 pounds. You don’t have to learn the whole bunch of stuff, you can google the first diet and stick to it. A more complex thing than losing weight is avoiding yo-yo effect and staying “down”. But again, when it’s only 10-20 pounds, that’s easy. To back up my story I made “Lose 10 pound in a week” guide that proves my point.
When you have over 100 pounds to lose it doesn’t take long to figure that you will need “help”.
For me, protein powder was a life savior. I loved that I could eat something that:
- had only around 200 calories
- didn’t have any sugar or carbs (or it had a very small amount of it)
- I could enjoy
- tastes like the cheat-meal but it isn’t.
Before we cover what’s the best protein powder for weight loss, I would like to talk a bit about protein and health benefits in general. If you, however, want to know which one is the best and why then scroll down and read the review.
Best protein powder for weight loss
It’s been for over 3 years now since I’m using whey protein and, to be honest with you, I can’t imagine my morning without it.
The very best protein powder for weight loss is definitely Gold Standard by Optimum Nutrition.
The reason I chose this whey protein is simply because of its reviews, high-quality ingredients, and the fact that it’s declared the best protein of the year for 3 years straight.
In one serving (30 grams scoop) you get 24 grams of high-quality protein, 3 grams of carbohydrates (2 grams are dietary fibers and only 1 gram of sugar), and 1 gram of fat. It contains amino acids for muscle growth and regeneration. And the best thing: it comes in 6 different tastes!
Gold Standard by Optimum Nutrition has a long history and it’s been in production for over 10 years now.
No matter are you losing weight or getting muscles or doing both simultaneously, you need the protein powder for the best results, and for sure Gold Standard by Optimum Nutrition will help you with that.
Best protein powder for weight loss for vegans?
The leader in the vegan protein category is definitely Organic Protein by Orgain.
Funny thing is that I’m not vegan, but I could eat this protein for the rest of my life, simply because all tastes are incredible.
Organic Protein by Orgain is, in my opinion, every vegan must because it’s very hard for vegans to find a good source of proteins.
Don’t get me wrong now, I know that plants and seeds are great sources of protein, but let’s be real if you could just avoid sugars or fats and have a nice clean protein intake to control your macros properly… Well, with this protein, you can do that.
- 21 grams of organic plant protein per serving
- 7 grams of organic fiber
- 3 grams of net carbs
- it’s gluten-free
- it’s soy-free
- it’s non-GMO.
I believe there is no healthier vegan protein shake on the market at this point, and therefore I truly recommend getting this one if you are a vegan!
Why is protein powder so important in a weight loss diet?
There are many reasons and I will tell you some of them. As I’m not a health-care professional I will more talk about the facts from my experience.
When you are losing weight you are not just burning the fat, you are burning everything… Except for your organs of course.
In the weight loss process, your body behaves like it’s under attack. Because it is.
You are actively working on not-feeding your body (by having a caloric deficit), getting rid of the water stuck inside (by sweating) in order to lose weight. And that’s fine, and you know it is, but your body doesn’t so it takes the best out of the best – from the muscles.
So basically if you don’t feed your muscles (and your muscles feed only on protein) your body will consume them and you will also see a weight loss.
That’s not the point of losing weight. You need muscles to burn fat, and by losing them you are not getting anywhere.
In order to save muscles and burn fat you need to:
- eat more protein to preserve muscle but
- stay in a caloric deficit
To be honest with you, you can do that without protein powder but having protein powder makes it so much easier.
Benefits of having the protein powder
When it comes to health we already explained why the protein powder is kinda a must. But here are all benefits that come with it:
- You don’t need to focus on “how much protein does 5oz of the chicken breast have”
- It’s a lot easier to track down the calories. Shake with protein powder has only about 200 calories and 25 grams of protein, and God knows how much protein and calories 5oz of chicken breasts have. Anyways, there’s no way it has these 200 calories – 25 grams of protein ratio.
- It tastes like a cheat meal but it isn’t. And if you ask me that’s the coolest part! Literally, you can choose over 20 different tastes and have whatever you want. Calories and protein ratio remains the same!
- If you have a very busy life it helps you stay on track. It’s a lot easier to drink a protein shake instead of making a full meal or eating junk food.
- It comes in various packages so when you are going on a trip or vacation you can easily pack it with everything else you are carrying.
- You can choose different formulas. Having only a protein is good enough but if you are working out you can get protein + BCAA to prevent muscle catabolism. There are even good ones out there with CLA and Green Tea extract. Supplements for weight loss can be added inside powder too, like multivitamin!
- Your muscles are not the only thing that feeds on protein. Your skin does too. If you are extremely overweight like I was using a protein powder will reduce the chances of getting loose skin.
- It can also be a great healthy snack. If you already had your main meals and feeling hungry, make a protein shake!
- if you are on Keto diet, protein powder can help you add some proteins and fats you need.
- It takes 15 seconds to make it!
And a lot more.
How to choose the right protein powder?
Since there is a lot of different protein powders out there it can be very difficult to choose the right ones.
The market is definitely oversaturated and unfortunately, there’s a lot of crappy things saying they’re the best.
Here’s the main point.
If you are pretty much-eating everything, you will target WHEY protein. Whey protein is a formula extracted from the milk during cheese productions. Just like the variations of quality of milk and cheese, there are low-quality and high-quality whey proteins.
The best way to choose high-quality protein is to see what’s written on the back of the pack. Quality protein powder should have at least 80% protein per serving. Also, do your research, check the reviews, the check does the protein have any rewards, and what are people saying about it.
On the other hand, if you are a vegan you should buy organic plant-based protein powder designed for vegans. Things are a bit different when it comes to non-whey proteins but in order to spare you, a complication let’s review what are the best protein powders on the market.
That’s it, folks!
Founder at Extreme Loser
- 5 Best Supplements For Weight Loss AND Muscle Gain
- 9 Amazing High Protein Snacks For Weight Loss
- Plateau: How I Broke It Every Time Quickly While Losing Weight
- Packaging may vary - New look, with the same trusted quality
- Gold standard 100% whey blend – 24 grams blended protein consisting of...
- Over 5 grams of BCAAS ‚Äì help build lean and strong muscles with BCAAs
- You will receive (1) jar of Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein...
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR SUPPLEMENTS: Body Fortress provides a variety of pre-,...
- AFFORDABLE SUPPLEMENTS: Body Fortress is committed to the idea that your...
- NEW FLAVOR: Athletes everywhere are shouting YABBA DABBA DOO! with the...
- 1.6 lbs of Dymatize ISO100 Fruity Pebbles Protein Powder (23 Servings)
- 25 grams of protein, 5.5 grams of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), & 2.7...