Everybody knows that in order to lose weight your diet has to be based on proteins. That is the only way to stay healthy, lose fat, and build muscle at the same time and be able to cut over a longer period of time. You can enforce diets that are not protein-based, but they are just for cutting 10-15 pounds max. The real trick is to find the best protein snacks for weight loss and that's what we will cover in this post!
We are going to break THE BEST protein snacks for weight loss that you can take during your journey.
I hate when someone publishes an article with healthy protein snacks, and when you open it you find that you need about 2 hours just to make it!
Snacks are supposed to be quick meals, that you can grab and continue with your life! These snacks have a good amount of protein, a low amount of carbs, and will fit into your caloric deficit.
They are grab-n-go and healthy for you but bear in mind that eating a ton of these will throw you out of your deficit window.
1. (Homemade) Protein Powder
Or just a regular one… You saw this one coming, didn't you?
Alright, if you are more into the healthy homemade stuff, but you still need a snack quickly you can make protein powder easy. You have many recipes out there that you can make on your own and use them as a snack.
I personally more prefer liquid food and I love to play in the kitchen so, besides regular protein shakes, I have my own, homemade ones. If you love already made a product, scroll down, there's one for you too!
I found this recipe online and it's just unbelievable how good it tastes. There's are ingredients:
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup of almond
- 1 cup of roasted peanut
- 1 cup of oats
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1 cup of milk powder
- 2 tsp of chia seeds
Blend it all together and you will have a delicious quick protein powder shake, that you can take as a snack.
Pro tip: When you want to reward yourself add some black chocolate. It's amazing how good it is!
When it comes to regular protein powders I prefer using the best of the best. At this point that would be Gold Standard Whey Protein by Optimum Nutrition. I love it because every it has high-quality whey protein and it also contains amino acids for muscle regeneration and growth. And the best thing? Only 1 gram of sugar per serving!
[amazon fields=”B000QSNYGI” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_alt=”Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard” image_align=”center”]
[amazon fields=”B000QSNYGI” value=”button”]
2. Protein bars
Yup, also an obvious one, but it's gonna get more fun, I promise!
I just can't skip the fact that these things are truly the best snacks that you can get.
Protein bars are always the option if you are more into that your food is solid and not liquid. You can carry them anywhere with you, they fit in your bag, purse, car, laptop case, suitcase, anywhere.
The ones I'd recommend are definitely Quest bars.
[amazon fields=”B07W5LYQ1F” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_alt=”Quest Protein Bar” image_align=”center”]
[amazon fields=”B07W5LYQ1F” value=”button”]
Recently Greg Doucette published a poll asking which protein bars taste the best and besides Quest Bar, some of the options people could choose were Grenade Carb Killer, Kirkland Signature Bar, Built Bar and One Bar… Quest Bar won with 49% among thousands of voters.
They are just incredible, they come in 20+ different tastes, truly amazing high protein snack for weight loss.
3. Protein chocolate milk
If you are one of those people who prefer their protein to be super sweet, then this is a real deal for you! They can be a bit more expensive than others, but they are totally legit.
You can find various protein chocolate milk out there so we won't get into many details. These are just things you need to know before pursuing one of those:
- Watch out for the sugar. Most of these milk and bars have a high level of sugar.
- Don't go crazy with protein! Don't buy the 100g of protein chocolate milk and drink it all at once. Your body cannot absorb that much protein, and it ends up turning that protein into fat. The 20g protein chocolate milk is all you need.
- Calories can be the trickiest part. Usually, these things have a huge amount of calories because of the sugar they contain. Read carefully all the macros on the back of a package before you decide to consume it.
- Don't get hooked on it! I know it's tasty and awesome and fast and everything, but it's not really healthy to consume only that. Your diet should be varied with different snacks.
I needed protein bars and chocolate milk because I'm almost never home and I if don't have any I can't manage to fulfill my daily protein intake. That market is huge, and most of those have hidden sugars or just taste bad.
So if you are busy with your everyday life, I believe these will get your back.
[amazon fields=”B07LD2NV9X” value=”thumb” image_size=”large” image_alt=”Fairlife Core Power High Protein Milk Shake” image_align=”center”]
[amazon fields=”B07LD2NV9X” value=”button”]
Fairlife Core Power chocolate milk is an amazing high-quality protein chocolate milk that will definitely be an amazing snack. These particular ones are awesome because you 26 grams of protein, only 5 grams of sugar, and all that in 170 calories. Perfect!
Peanuts are one of the best protein snacks ever! You can use it between your main meals, and it will satisfy your hunger.
Peanuts are known to be great antioxidants and a great source of protein. The interesting fact is that scientists found in one study that peanuts can actually increase your metabolic rate by 11%. All you have to do is eat it! How cool is that?
In case you are still not convinced of the power of this God-given snack, here are some more facts for you:
- Peanuts are loaded with fiber which helps your digestive tract to process the food you ate
- It's loaded with “good fat” and tastes great
- Peanuts have a low glycemic index and therefore it stabilizes your blood sugar.
- It's a good source of vitamin B3.
Pro tip: Peanut butter is also a good choice, but watch out what are you buying! There is a lot of different ones, and before buying check the macros written on the package.
5. Feta cheese
Milk products can be a great source of protein, but they suffer a flaw – a lot of them have a big amount of sugar, in this case, lactose. Many people are lactose intolerant and they struggle with this issue but the great thing about feta cheese is that contains enzymes that convert some of the lactose into lactic acid.
Saying that lactose-intolerant people in 90% of cases can digest feta cheese without any issues, and therefore we are placing it as one of the best protein snacks.
It's a bit weird to say cheese can be a snack, but you would be surprised how a simple slice of feta can distinguish your hunger and suppress your cravings.
Here are some of the great benefits of this snack:
- 1-oz of serving has approximately 140 milligrams of calcium, which is pretty cool knowing that the recommended daily intake is around 1000 milligrams
- It has a fair amount of B12 vitamin which helps your brain to remain functional, and it promotes red cell production also.
- 100 grams of feta has 14 grams of protein and only 4.1 grams of carbs.
Pro tip: You can make it taste even better by cutting the feta into little cubes, and placing it in a cup full of extra-virgin olive oil. Take a cherry tomato and also put it in the cup with feta. Add some parsley and rosemary in there along with a little bit of garlic. Leave to spend a night in the fridge, and in the morning you will have a healthy bomb for a snack!
Almonds are recommended in case of constipation, disturbances in the respiratory system, coughing, heart problems, anemia, impotence, and diabetes. The use of almonds helps in the care of hair, skin, and teeth. Basically, they have HUGE benefits for your health and you should include these in your diet.
You can eat raw almonds or roasted, you can add them to the salads, or you can just take them as a snack. I have a good habit of eating these and I really feel great when using them.
A bad thing about them is that you can't actually eat a lot of them if you are in a caloric deficit (good things don't last long, right?). Here are more details about them:
- 100 grams of almonds have 576 calories, which actually doesn't fit many diets out there. Your snack shouldn't be above 150-200 calories, so don't get carried away with that beautiful taste!
- Almonds have 21g of protein per 100g serving, but again, that awesome taste comes from the carbs too. It has 22g of carbs per 100g serving, which is not ideal. The good side is that only 4 grams of those 22 are sugar, and that isn't so bad because 12.5g of 22 are dietary fibers.
- They are also a good source of potassium.
- Almonds play a good role in balancing cholesterol levels in your body.
Pro tip: If you intend to have only one snack of almonds in a day, take about 30g of almonds and mix it up with yogurt. It's very delicious and it will turn your hunger off in seconds!
7. Boiled eggs
Okay, this was the obvious one. Everyone knows that boiled eggs are a great source of protein but I don't prefer putting them to be the best one. Why is that?
Well, I believe that the weight loss journey is supposed to be something you enjoy. If you don't enjoy the process, you will probably end up quitting and getting back to your old habits. And boiled eggs are a cliche (but they are fine, nobody can say they're bad).
There is like a thousand diets out there and every single one of them is like “Eat boiled eggs for breakfast, eat boiled eggs for dinner, eat boiled eggs every day… until you lay an egg yourself!“.
To be honest with you, I don't find them really tasty and that much great. Maybe in the beginning, but eventually many people get bored and find them tasteless. If at any point something starts to be boring or a pain in the butt, I believe there is always an alternative for it.
Even though there aren't many ways to make them taste always great, let's review the benefits of boiled eggs:
- 1 large egg (around 50 grams) has only about 70-80 calories, which is pretty awesome.
- That same large egg has about 6g of protein, and only 0.6g of carbs, and that is a fair price to pay for a boring taste
- You can eat 2-3 per snack, you will (probably) remain in a caloric deficit, and it's like a normal meal.
- It has a big amount of vitamin D which prevents osteoporosis and rickets.
Pro tip: Chicken is not the only animal that lays eggs. Try also duck or quail eggs. There is a lot of specialties with it and you can get some new ideas on your healthy snacks.
Tuna can be a great snack if you can eat it without anything. People are 50-50 about this one, someone can eat it someone can't. It's because it has a strong taste and it often requires a bun or something like that. That is perfectly fine but bear in mind that tuna is providing you with pure protein, and eating bread or something with it makes it a meal, not a snack.
It's well known that seafood has big benefits, not just for weight loss, but for health in general too. Canned tuna is not the healthiest option but it's far better than sweets and sugars. It's quick for consuming, very nutritious and it will shut down your hunger.
The best thing about tuna:
- Per 100g serving it has about 190 calories (if not less), 30g of proteins, and 0 carbs!
- It has omega 3 fatty acids which are great for fighting with visceral fat!
- It's a good source of potassium.
Pro tip: You can use it with feta cheese in the marinade I told you about earlier in the article, it tastes so much better!
9. Kidney (red) beans
Kidney beans are a great way to have some extra protein, but they also have a bigger amount of carbs. 95% of those carbs are simple dietary fiber which is a good thing. Let's see some benefits of this snack:
- 100g of boiled kidney beans has about 130 calories which are fair enough.
- That portion also has 9g of protein and 22g of carbs, but the only 0.3g is sugar
- The best thing about boiled kidney beans is that they have 405mg of potassium.
Pro tip: Make sure you have these in your diet! Potassium is something we all need a lot, and it can help us achieve goals much quicker!
10. Greek yogurt
I absolutely adore Greek yogurt! It's always refreshing, light, easy to digest, and banishes all hunger and cravings! Did you know that word yogurt actually comes from Turkey? And Turk immigrants were the one to bring yogurt into the US?
“Good job Greeks, you took all the credit, good job!”
Well, I won't get much into details of history, but this I know: Turkish or Greek, this yogurt is a phenomenal snack and it can do so much for you:
- 100g of Greek Yogurt has about 70 calories which is very low!
- That same amount has about 15 (actually 12-17, depends on which one you are buying) grams of protein and 6g of carbs
- It can improve your immune system, digestive tract and you can even put it on your face! It can be a great healthy mask, and your face skin will be thankful!
Pro tip: You can play with this snack in so many ways! Add some parsley or garlic, you can even mix it with ham or chicken! Whatever you do with it, it will be great!
That's it, folks! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me!
Also, please don't forget to share, comment, and subscribe!
Founder at Extreme Loser